Saturday, October 11, 2008

Old School Me



The video above is of me at 17 dj'ing at my high school pep rally. Man, I was MAD skinny back then. I was funny looking and shit. I don't even know why I had my fucking shirt up. I think I was working out back then and felt way bigger than I was lol. My dilusional mind lol. Notice my hat say "YOLEGE". That was my dj/rap name back then. It stood for Young Knawlege. It was the YO from young and the Lege from knawlege. There a million "young knawlege's" back then and just "young" something in general. It was my way of saying I was the beginning and end of young knawlege out there in the world. My way of being unique.

Also look at my crappy ass gear. This was a "dj in a box" set that my mom got me for xmas the year before. It was some bullshit gemini joints, the cheapest we could find. Belt drive turntables, ever dj knows you don't dj live with those lol. Its almost impossible to scratch vinyl's with those but I figure out a way. No slip mats or nothing. I still had the heavy rubber joints like slip mats and would use a crappy vinyl as a slip mat. Lol, look at the bullshit as mixer...Nuff said. See all those vinyl? This was before serato and shit. I had to bring what I could on the bus. That's right. I packed all that equipment in a big ass duffle bag and the vinyl in my backpack or a spare backpack and got on the bus with it every friday during football season for pep rallies. That's dedication for that ass. My whole life was hip hop back then. I stopped listening to music and only listened to instrumentals and I wrote rhymes like crazy. I didn't write verses back then, I wrote whole pages of raps

Photobucket

I used to tape verses to my wall after I finished a 16 or a whole page. I recorded on my computer in my room all the time. The sound was crappy but I felt like king of the world. I used to dj in yahoo chat rooms lol. Instead of plugging my mic in and talking, I hard wired my turntables and played whatever I had on my turntables. Most people liked it. Only one that didn't was the asshole who just wanted to talk shit on the mic...get it....assholes...talk shit lol.

Photobucket

I sat on this couch next to my bed and write poems and rhymes out the ass. I should've been doing my homework. I used to record freestyles on cassettes in the morning, then pass the tape to my best friend Stevie Franklin and he would do his freestyle after school or that night.

Photobucket

This was/is my best friend in the whole world next to Denise. This man got me serious about rapping. He moved to pasadena from the east coast but was born in Madagascar in Africa. He was so much better than I was but it never felt like a competition. He taught me shit and with his help, I got better. You'll hear more about him in another blog. There will be more old school pics too when my old computer is up and running. Until then, PEACE and go to bestcoastent.ning.com

No comments: